Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My first day!

On my first day of chemo the doctor gave to me...
Hello all! Today is my first day of getting Chemotherapy.. Everything has happened so fast! But I am here and I know all will be good. Feeling pretty good mentally-however this back & neck pain is just terrible! A lil' sore still in the right armpit due to the lymph node removal and on the right from the port site... However mentally I am doing pretty good. As I mentioned above today is my first day of Chemo (wish I could have taken a pic but I will soon) I will be taking a pic @ a later date. Dylan & Michael are down stairs and let's get started on my day today:

Arrived at the Breast Care center to see Dr. Nikita Shah @ 8:00 as my schedule said but guess what that was rescheduled (no one told me!), anyway came to the 5th floor at MD Anderson, the nurse gave me a tour of the place, I was set in a room with 2 other people (room can accomodate up to 4-but if your lucky sometimes you may get a private room), I was given some juice (yummy Grape & Apple my favorite mix), the nurse "Mary" sprayed some spray on my port to numb it-it was really cold like freon, drew 5 vials of blood for blood work, they must do this to check all your blood counts, in order to see how much and how your doing before the Chemo treatment... Then I was given the go ahead for Chemo, Iron and white blood cells were still a lil' low but said that I should be ok... I was supposed to be given the Iron and white blood treatment first, but you know me I get and do everything backwards! I even did the surgery procedure in reverse (surgery then all the labs, xrays, procedures)! That is me one of a kind... Anyway I was then given a pill to help with the nausea "Emend", an drip in my IV for nausea also "Aloxi" and a steroid "Decadron"... Then the Chemo! One is red really red and one is white-and I am wearing blue (very patriotic today). I was given tons of paperwork, with instructions on meds, some snacks, juice, a lot more info on all that I have to look out for, and a lady just came in with a Labrador Retriever named "Susie" she is a cancer survivor also in remission for 4 years now! She has a "Bark Strong" yellow collar bracelet!!! TOO CUTE! Anyway all, I will keep you updated as much as I can - if not Emily will do so for me! Thank you all again for everything! God Bless!

4 comments:

Emily said...

One treatment done woo-hoo! Just think... you are have one less treatment then you did yesterday and are that much closer to being done with chemotherapy altogether. I love you and wish I could be there with you today!

jack said...

Your on your way and we appreciate your postings to keep us up to date. Please don't feel obligated to make these entries if you are tired, hurting or just "Blah" we understand - We love you too and hope to follow you on your journey back to us - Just remember it is what comes from us and NOT comes to us that measures a persons character and baby you got character -
Jack

SUSIE said...

Deanna,you'll always be my Ethel. I know you will come through this with flying colors,especially with all the love & support of your friends & family. And I'm so glad to hear you met a Labrador Retriever with the same name as me. See,I was there in spirit.HA!HA! Stay Strong!!!! Love Ya Girl

Pam said...

Fist time is the scariest because of the unknown, but now - no more firsts - it's behind you now! As always, you got through it with your usual "Deanna Dignity"! I'm thinking about you and praying for you all the time. Please "blog" if you need anything!
Luvyu....