Tuesday, August 26, 2008

You look mighty fine in them GENES!!!

Just returned from meeting with Ryan (see above) from Genetic Counseling at the Breast Care Center @ MD Anderson! He was very nice and explained a lot to me (what I remember is a different story LOL)... Anyway he suggested due to the family history, me having the girls and believe it or not Dylan too (males can get breast cancer and of course prostate is related) however no other circumstances are really related to breast cancer I am the only one as far as we know with breast cancer! So, anyway I am having the genetic testing done also my Oncologist suggested it! So part of me will be going to Salt Lake City, Utah to a place Myriad Genetic Laboratories, Inc. if I can't be there well at least my blood and my genes will have a good time and forget about everything lately that has been going on!!! I would love to just go somewhere anywhere I really get a chance to get away during treatment (look for other blog coming soon...) anyway it will take about 2 weeks for the results to come back. Due to the cost of the testing it will be only be tested for the BRCA1 and the BRCA2 gene. Apparently we all have this gene along with other cancer genes! It is when they are mutated, non-functional or missing a protein is when the "C" comes into play! It is almost like cooking and having everything just about done and well oops your missing one ingredient, or you put too much salt in, or the eggs or milk you used were old or expired. He stated that usually only 1 out of 500 have the messed or malufunctioning gene and that most cancers occurs by chance (called sporadic). The cancer risk for BRCA mutation carriers are as follows:
...........................BRCA1 MUTATION .......................GENERAL POP
Breast Cancer 56%-87%....................................................... 12%
Ovarian Cancer 27%-44%...................................................... 2%
2nd Primary 48%-64%.................................................. 2%-11%
Breast Cancer

Just an FYI for all my sister "C' bloggers out there...


I can email anyone more information if needed just let me know!!!

Anyway, there was so much said I had to take notes and made sure I obtained all booklets and pamphlets so to have Emily look over them for me... I am sure though that she has already researched it on the internet! So, anyway... the results will be back in 2 weeks and if it comes back positive which is like 1 in 500 very low then I will have withhout a doubt will need to have a Hysterectomy as well as the Double Bisectomy and well Dr. Shah and I spoke and due to the type of cancer, how it spread and my just plain dumb luck I just may go ahead and go through with the Double Bisectomy anyway! It will lower my risk tremendously!!! And now a days with all that is going on the world, the sadness and the losses around me, other wonderful people that have cancer, previously had cancer and the wonderful, fantastic people around me that I can not let down by not being here well, I have decided to have the surgery done regardless of the Genetic testing! Anyway, I need to go now almost done with my Chemo!!!

Have a wonderful and blessed day ALL of you and remember to live each day to it's fullest!!!

STOP AND SMELL THE FLOWERS!!!


xoxoxoxox,
Deanna




2 comments:

Emily said...

Fantastic Blog Mom!! I love the pic of you with the Genetic counselor, so now I can put a face to the info :) You have already came such a long way and well even though the journey isn't over and you still have a few bumps left in the path I am very proud of you and how well you have done!

Anonymous said...

Dear,sister I know you you are thousand miles away but you are close to my heart! I know you had to make a big choice about the surgery! You are a very strong lady and I'm glad that GOD put me and you together.Because everybody need a big sister like you!!!! Keep up the good work on your blog. I love you and your family very much. You are a inspiration to all. Love always, Stacey